Tuesday Treats Freebie Time!

Man.  It’s already been a long, tiring week around here…and it’s just Tuesday! My oldest son, Tyler, started 1st Grade yesterday, and I think it was harder to drop him off then than it was last year when he started Kindergarten.  Last year he was nervous and anxious, and though very excited, griping my hand so hard as we walked down the hall.  This year? There was no hand holding in the hallway, and when we hit the classroom, he was in his chair before I had a chance to read his name on his desk!  He’s so incredibly excited about being in school…and I just hope (so. very. much.) that his excitement lasts!

He sure is handsome, isn’t he?  (pictured below with both his little brother, and his best buddy “E” – they’re all HUGE fans of the computer game Plants vs. Zombies, so those shirts fit their personality perfectly!) :)

Though today’s freebie isn’t specifically school themed, it still sort of fits in with Tyler’s new 1st Grade adventure.  Our city’s school system is making the digital switch this year…getting rid of the traditional paper textbooks and following a new high-tech path of providing laptops and iPads to all school children.  Because Tyler’s so young, he’ll share classroom access to a new iPad with two of his fellow classmates.  By the time he’s in 3rd Grade, he’ll be bringing home a fully equipped laptop each year, provided by the school system.  It’s strange to think of how different his school experience will be from what I experienced when I was his age…but I guess it’s all just a part of life, right?

Sort of like how when I was younger my mom would take us on weekly trips to the library and monthly trips to the bookstore for our reading pleasure…and now, we crank up the e-reader of our choice, purchase and downloading a new book (or borrow one from the library), and dive head first into the story without even leaving the bed!  :)

Click Here To Download

made from my Reading Room Buffet Elements Pack

7 Comments on Tuesday Treats Freebie Time!

1. Amy G.
    August 21, 2012 at 11:45 am (2 years ago)

I just love first day of school pictures! And your little guys look so handsome. My kids would be so jealous that your kids are going the electronic route.

• JoyLynn
      August 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the compliment, Amy. I think they’re pretty handsome, too. ;)

2. Ricki Ohana
    August 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for this cute cluster!

• JoyLynn
      August 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm (2 years ago)

So very welcome – glad you like it! :)

3. CreativeBusyHand
    August 22, 2012 at 7:28 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies (please, notice the new url for my blog), under the Page 2 post on Aug. 22, 2012. Thanks again.

4. natalia
    August 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm (2 years ago)

He is adorable. I just have to say how lucky you are to be in a school district that is that forward thinking! I wish my daughter could look forward to using an iPad in school for digital text books. It makes so mich sense! Unfortunately, our district has had huge budget cuts, and we don’t have those luxuries. Luckily, we have an iPad at home, but it would be great to see the school moving into the 21st century like that. Cngratulations!
    Btw, my daughter is starting 1st grade on the 6th, and I am absolutely extatic! Lol, it has been a long summer, and I work from home. :-)

• JoyLynn
      August 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you, Natalia! I’m surprised our school system made the switch, as we’ve certainly faced budgetary issues over the past few years (who hasn’t, right?). Luckily, we live in a technology centered city, so they were able to get an incredible deal on the iPads and Laptops. They were also closing in on the next cycle of textbook purchases (to replace old, outdated, destroyed ones)…so it made sense to make the switch now before it wound up costing them extra to do so later. It’s so strange to do the morning drop off or afternoon pick up and see all the little kids carrying laptop cases, though! They tested the switch last year on a smaller scale with several grades and had great results…and, in the end, I do think it will be quite beneficial for the kids. Technology is certainly the way of the future…might as well start them young, right? :)

Hope you enjoyed the freebie (and all my silly rambling, lol)! ;)